Sunday, April 21, 2013

WWII Our Bombers Over Holland April 1945

The Nazis were about done during tithis time, 68 years ago. Our B-17's were over Berlin on 21st. About 500 B-17s and a variety of B-24 Liberators would wind up the 8th Air Force's mission of the War by sundown that night. Starting the next day, the American bombers would load up wit food and start a relief run - pretty consistently - over selected parts of Hollan. The crews of the various American Bomb Groups stationed in England called them "chow runs." The Dutch called them life savers. For most of the spring of 1945, bombers dumped tons of food on the Dutch in small boxes. There are WWII Museums in our country with those boxes, now empty and photos of the hungry Dutch ripping them open, feeding their young. Recenty Dutch visitors saw one display and said, " my God, I remember, I still have those boxes in my cellar at home." Dutchmen like elephants never forget, I guess. To thank the American airmen, the planted tulips in the shape of a note aimed skyward: " THANK YOU." I dont think Tom Brokaw ever heard that story, but I did. I talked to the Dutchmen and women who lived it. ###

No comments:

Post a Comment