Thursday, July 30, 2015

ON HER DEATHBED - WHAT SHE TOLD ME

She didn't know she was going, neither did I at that moment, so we talked freely.
     " You know, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have worried so much about my weight, you know,......my shape. I would have eaten more ice cream, and less card board crackers." Then she laughed.
     " I made a lot of mistakes," I said, " and I was always haunted by a lot of them. Hauling a lot of regret around." She said - oh, I don't, I never did.
     I always forgave myself for my own stupidity. Never did those things again, never tried to hurt anyone else, cause I felt lousy about it. That was the hardest thing, she told me.
     You always feel lousy about yourself.
     The nurse came by and wheeled her over to X-ray and we chatted about things on the way down and back. The nurse said, " you two are amazing, everybody on the floor are talking about you."
     Jan said " why' that?"  The nurse said that there was so much positiveness coming out of the two of us, everyone wanted to drop by and talk to us. " haven't you noticed everyone in the floor has dropped by?" she said.
     Jan said, " we get that a lot. Three hours after her X-ray, back in the room, she asked if I had fed the dog, as we held hands, I kissed her as she rolled over in the bed and peacefully died at 55.
###

No comments:

Post a Comment